Sunday, December 18, 2005

Time to Protest?

At this link to the 12.16.05 Sojourners email newsletter, Christa Mazzone writes about why she got arrested this advent season. At the CCDA conference in November, Jim Wallis urged the attendees to join him on the steps of the Capital building in Washington, DC on December 14th to protest the federal budget. I wasn't able to go, but many people I know did. Near the bottom of the sojourner's newsletter is a video link of the event. It is very moving.

I just finished reading the entire Bible which I do every year. This time as I listened to the book of Revelation on CD, I was gripped by the strong language about the "merchants of the earth" in chapter 18. Watching the video of people I know, like and trust, being led away in handcuffs by police officers as they sing hymns and recite the Lord's Prayer in peaceful advocacy for the poor juxtaposed against Revelation 18 was, to me, a powerful message.

No comments: