Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Crack Babies and Apartheid Schooling

I thought you might be interested in some links I have discovered while working on my dissertation. This one, "Crack Babies: Black Children Defy Stereotypes, Face Bias" from the March 2001 Chicago Reporter links to an article I cut out back in 2001 and have used in several of my classes. It reports about racial bias in testing babies for drug and alcohol syndrome.

I think babies should be tested and appropriate steps taken for their health, but why do we test all the babies in hospitals located in black communities and almost none of the white babies even though drug and especially alcohol usage is nearly the same for blacks and whites?

I also discovered a summary version of the book I read last month by Jonathan Kozol. The book is The Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America. This article from Harpers Magazine, September 2005 is entitled Still Separate, Still Unequal: America's Educational Apartheid.

No comments: