Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I'm sitting beside the Sea of Gallilee


Today we drove along the Dead Sea and the Jordan River, to Tiberias on the Sea of Gallilee. I took advantage of the opportunity to take a camel ride on the way.

We met all together in a theater at Bet She'an where the bodies of Saul and his sons were hung by the Philistines. There are extensive archeological digs there spanning many centuries.

We climbed to the top of a cliff that gave us a panoramic view of the Sea of Galilee and then drove to our hotel, right at the edge of the sea.

It is awesome to see the places mentioned in Scripture. I think this trip will forever influence my reading of Scripture because I will be able to imagine the actual geographical scenes. It is amazing how close everything is. At it's widest point Israel is just 85 miles wide. It is similar in size to the state of New Jersey. Most of the events of the life of Jesus took place within just a few miles of where I am right now.

No comments: