Saturday, March 24, 2007

Lightly Made Plans

I wrote some plans down for myself back in January, but was challenged this week through my reading of Scripture to revisit them. Here's why.

Paul asks two penetrating question in 2 Corinthians 1:15. He says, "Did I plan lightly? Did I plan in a worldly manner?"

A quick study of the word "lightly" looks like it is the only place it is used in the New Testament and means, "quickly, lightly, with fickleness of mind". And in a "worldly manner" would mean "of physical origin, without divine influence".

He goes on to make it clear that when our plans are of divine origin, God "guarantees what is to come". (v21)God is faithful and makes us stand firm, anoints us, owns us, and puts the Holy Spirit in our hearts.

I want to know that my plans are inspired by God and that there is no fickleness in my resolve to work toward their fulfillment. I want that seal, that guarantee of the Spirit. I think I may be planning too lightly and in a worldly manner.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good thoughts... found your site off Scott McKights blog - we have the same last name.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Arloa, I've probably drifted too far the other way. I only hope that God is in plans. I need to get more towards where you're at in that. Interesting thoughts.

Tom Neumann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Neumann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Neumann said...

Arloa,

I have to keep coming back to your blog, as there is so much insight for me at times. What makes it even more telling is I was just going to sit down last night and write several letters just on the fly yet when I read this I began to think of what should I really say from my heart and not just from what was on my mind at the time.

Thank you again,
Tom