Monday, October 22, 2007

Seeing Myself As An Oppressor

I am going through another BUILD experience. As I continue to press in on my own growth in the area of race relations, I realize how important it is that I become aware of the privileges I experience by virtue of the color of my skin and of ways in which I tend to dominate and disrespect others. This article, "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" is one that always draws lots of discussion in our groups. Those of us who are white are usually quite unconscious of our unearned power. Becoming aware is the first step, but what to do with that power is the big question. What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Marshall said...

THe link to the knapsack article did not work.

Arloa Sutter said...

Ooops sorry. Try it again. Thanks Marshall!

Sarah said...

I think being white in our country is all about taking the resources we are afforded and sharing them as generously and completely as possible. Being a Christian teaches me that I have no entitlement to these earthly things, also an important lesson to whites. I always cringe visibly when I hear the words "Its mine, I worked hard for this money, status, privilege,etc."